Food Handler Information
What is a Food Handler?
Food Handler means any person involved in the preparation,
manufacturing, or service of food in a restaurant, deli, or any other food service facility. This includes, but is not limited to,
dishwashers, wait staff, and bus persons.
Who Needs to Take a Food Handler Class?
As of January 1996, the Oregon State Legislature passed a law that states, in part, all food handlers employed in a
restaurant, bed and breakfast, mobile unit, pushcart, commissary, or vending machine operation shall successfully
complete a food handler training program and earn a certificate of program completion within 30 days after the date of hire.
Back to top
Food Handler Classes
We hold a food handler class the 1st Wednesday of every month, unless
it is a holiday.
If you have questions, please call (541) 265-4127.
(Do NOT call the facilities where the training will be held.)
- Classes are given in English.
(See class schedule above for classes offered in Spanish.)
- Classes are on a first-come, first-served basis. No pre-registration is taken.
- The cost of the class and taking the test are free.
- After you pass the test, you may purchase a
food handler card for $10.00
- Plan to spend about 1 - 1/2 to 2 hours at the training.
- Please bring your own pencil or pen. We have booklets and tests available in Spanish, Korean, Vietnamese,
Back to top
*pdf files on this page require Adobe Reader to view. Free download: